Saturday, March 21, 2015

Some Problems I Have Been Trying To Solve

Since a long time, I have been trying to solve a problem. A problem that I have been facing since the time I have started using basic computer applications. Automation.

Every time I am browsing through the web, I want to save a page or save a select part of the page. There are applications like the Evernote app for chrome. The app allows users to select and save parts of the web page in Evernote. But what if I don’t like Evernote? Which I absolutely don’t. I don’t even like its alternatives like Onenote.

I often need to browse through news and information from major news sites and other websites. There are applications that automatically deliver RSS feeds to the inbox. But every one of those sites provide a thousand articles every day. How could I find time to browse through all of them to find the topics relevant ones for me? I want something to automatically deliver relevant articles depending on my choice. Of course there are some apps that do so but they work on the basis of delivering only top articles to my feed. What is that of use to me? Media hypes and unnecessary news piles up in my inbox regardless of how carefully I select the topics. I want something better. Something that suites my taste.

I code and I browse through thousands of websites that have necessary code and graphics necessary for my applications. It’s necessary for me to learn through examples. But every time I want a solution to a problem, no matter how simple the problem may be, I end up wasting hours searching for the right examples and documentation for my needs. I need a better solution. I can’t waste my time browsing through thousands of code pages just to realize that a simple twist in my code or a function call could have done the job.

Collaboration is extremely essential for nearly everyone. I often need to share stuff with people but end up searching for a proper medium to share the content. I need something that could easily allow me to share anything with anyone with the least possible steps.

I need information. Information about nearly everything. Trending news, information about people in my circle, work availability and numerous others. I need something that could provide me with necessary information in a classified manner so that I can focus on what is really important while skimming through unnecessary stuff.

I am careless about my finances. I need something to control the way I spend. Provide necessary ways to maximize my savings and minimize my spending.

Next I need something to provide keep me alert of upcoming events and people I would be meeting. I need all possible relevant information about everyone in my circle. Ranging from their private conversations to their personal lives. I need information about whatever happens in their life. This would allow me to control the decisions that they make about me or my proposals.

I now rely on last pass for managing my passwords across sites and apps. I don’t want to. I need something even more private. I hate the idea of giving all my personal information to one organization.

I get hundreds of emails every day. I use all features made available by Google to organize, classify and access only the relevant emails. But while doing so, I tend to miss numerous important emails that could have saved my day. I need an intelligent program that provides necessary information right in my inbox. Marks what is important and what is informative. Marks what I have to focus on and reads all necessary embedded information in my emails to automatically schedule my activities.

Scheduling is integral to productivity. I have been trying to schedule my workflow in numerous ways. I tried making to do lists. It failed. I tried sticking to timelines. I can’t. I need something that adapts to my work. Something that automatically understand what I have already done, what remains to be done and what stuff I can focus on with the remaining time I have. Milestones that I need to cross so that I can learn something I have been trying to learn since months but not able to find enough time for the same.

Lastly I need something to visualize the workflow of my activities and information and everything that goes on in my personal and digital life. I need to be able to see visually where I missed and where I could have did better. The brain application provides a good enough interface for the same. But unlike its name it is a dumb application that only returns back what is inputted into it.

Here is a list of applications that up to some extent help me get through my day.
1.       Note Taking: Evernote, Keep, Onenote, Trello
2.       Password management: Lastpass
3.       Email: Mailbox
4.       Workflow Visualization: Casual
5.       Time, Project and Task management with Collaboration: Asana, EasilyDo, Timeful, Quip
6.       Calendar: Sunrise
7.       User Information: Refresh, TrueCaller
8.       Social Media and Relationship Management: Hootsuite, Contactually
9.       Finances: Mint
10.   Viewing, Sharing and modification of content: Skitch, Clearly, Quip, Pocket
11.   Automation: IFTTT

I need all of these in one application. I don’t have the necessary time or patience to browse each of these applications and update them one by one. I need a unified app that could do more than what these are able to do. This app would make life easy. This app would be the next big software. Complete automation regardless of person or circumstance